Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Interior Shots of Memphis before the Demo

The school facing west.
A couple of shots of a classroom, minus the blackboards and steam radiators. The steam radiators were always found below the windows. Anything that had any value was pulled from the school before the demolition by 'pickers' of every kind. You name it...hardwood floors, blackboards, windows, plumbing, copper wiring. At the end, the school was essentially, an empty shell.
Remember the cloakrooms?
The old stage in the auditorium. I remember a few puppet shows and small concerts being held there. During the sixties, we ate our lunches in the auditorium.
The auditorium facing Henritze.
This appears to be the second-floor corridor.
One of the entrances into the gym and a couple of shots of the gym itself. According to the clock, power to the school was pulled at 7:30. This clock and its protective cage now hangs in our home on our game room wall. It keeps excellent time!

4 comments:

  1. It's actually hard to look at these pictures. I prefer to remember the school the way it was, and always will be in my mind. I have such fond memories of the many years spent here. Kail

    ReplyDelete
  2. sad to see the school in such rough shape spent lots of time in the school yard playing on the swings the monkey bars and ball games..Sure looks strange with no building there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended Memphis from 71-77 and have so many fond memories of students and teachers . I moved away but would occasionally drive by the school before it was torn down . One day I stopped and was able to get in the school but unfortunately it was stripped down and vandalized . Honestly I wish I wouldn't have seen it that way because it tarnished my memories a little . I love hearing the stories from long ago ,so please keep them coming !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above comment class of 71-77 was made by John Poloha - anyone who remembers me and would like to contact me my email is JPLFD2@aol.com. I would Love to hear from you .

    ReplyDelete