Saturday, January 21, 2012

Going to the Zoo from Memphis School

The other day after my son and I visited the Zoo, we stuck the camera out the window and took a picture of the old steel-staircase. I was told these steps were installed sometime around 1950.

Back in the Spring of 1968, when I was in Memphis 2nd grade. Our teacher, Miss Shirley Roach, took our whole class to the Zoo for a field trip. We all walked to the Zoo from Memphis School by walking down W. 42, then walking down these steel steps that's on the hillside off Pensacola Avenue's wooded area.

Click on this or any image to see closer.

3 comments:

  1. Can you tell me what year the school was torn down? I was part of the last promoted kindergarten class before they closed it down in 1995...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I lived on Pensacola, I spent a lot of time hanging out on these steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going down those steps and the zoo at the bottom. That was when the (now torn down) pachyderm building was brand new. It was the first time that I was at the zoo that the animals weren't behind bars. I also remember the swimming pool at the zoo. It was located where the amphitheater is now. Lots of great times and lots of great memories of the neighborhood, Memphis school and the Zoo.

    ReplyDelete