Sunday, April 17, 2011

Awesome photographs of our last day of school from 1972

One of my best and true long-time friends is Kail Tescar. Kail has graciously sent these awesome photographs of our very last day at Memphis Elementary School in June of 1972.

Pictured above is a group shot of some of the 1972 graduates and Miss Emch standing in front of the school. To see any image closer, just click on it.

The always impeccably dressed and super cool, Mr. Donald Sopka. Mr. Sopka is seen here signing autographs on our last day of school. Mr. Sopka was one of my all-time favorite teachers.
A fellow '72 classmate, the late, Frank Gundich (in yellow shirt).

These photos reminded me of the yearly ritual of getting the school ready for summer vacation. We covered everything in-sight with newspaper and washed everything down with Ajax.
The awesome and always fashionable, Miss Emch!
Here's my friend Kail Tescar, who provided these great pictures. Kail is standing near Memphis Avenue along with a couple of students and Miss Emch. When showing these pictures to my daughter, she quickly pointed out that Kail was our very own version of a Justin Beiber!

6 comments:

  1. I guess I was wrong, these are pictures of my class , I was two years off on the years I was there lol. I look at these faces and I remember most of them,Frank Gundich in the yellow shirt with the beautiful black hair was my boyfriend as we called each other at that young age. Its great seeing all this history

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if anyone remembers the name of the place we was taken on field trips to where we learned about history and got to participate in all the activities. I remember it as being downtown in a very large building with many floors with different activities on each floor. A planetarium was on one of them and a Indian village and pilgrim eras that was alot of fun to participate with. I am just wondering what it was called and if children today still get to go there, if not thats really sad because it was so much fun and educational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ithink it was called The Supplementary Center..Natalie

      Delete
    2. I believe it was The Suplametary Center. We could be pioneer traders at the general store. There was an old fashioned movie theater with Oliver and Hardy. There was a space capsule too! So cool!

      Delete

    3. Sorry spelled Supplementay wrong NatBill was correct! My old brain.

      Delete
  3. I attended Memphis after Mark Twain. I remember Kail Tescar from Mooney Jr. High. We were both evolved in Drama Club. He did a play...comic based on the TV series Columbo. I think we were both in the long Christmas Dinner directed by Mr. Alan Treathaway but I could be wrong.However we were both drama kids at Memphis and at Mooney.

    ReplyDelete