Friday, April 29, 2011

Bruce Stoessner and his memories of Memphis School


Thanks to our friend and Memphis Alum, Bruce Stoessner for this great story on our old elementary school.

I came across your Memphis School website and loved reading about the school and what became of it. It brought back memories of my time at Memphis. I started school there in September of 1961 to December 1962. I came there from Mark Twain School. I started at Mark Twain in the 3rd grade after my parents moved south of Memphis Ave. on West 57th St. Before that, I was at William Rainey Harper school. So, you see, all three of my elementary schools are no more.

So I attended Memphis for the second half of 5th grade and the entire 6th grade because Mark Twain only went up to the first half of 5th grade. I always thought that that was kind of weird. Anyway, my homeroom teacher and science teacher was Mrs. Mildred Wurch. My homeroom was 307, the science room. My art teacher, handcraft teacher and handwriting teacher was Mrs. Walzak. My English and social studies teacher was Miss Ethel F. Baker who was very stern and had an allergy to chalk dust so she used to use a special chalk holder. She became my homeroom teacher for the entire 6th grade. She was the only person I ever knew who drove a Checker automobile. The Checker was usually used for taxicabs but she had hers special ordered. It was a big boxy car but it fit her personality. My math teacher was Mrs. Stillman. My choir and music teacher was Miss Mondt. My gym teacher was Miss Damm and finally my instrumental music teacher was Miss
Pauline Diamond.

It is amazing to me that after all these years, it is all so vivid to me. I can see the gym with the worn steps going down to the basement. I can see the auditorium that stuck out of the back of the building. I remember being up on the small stage for music performances for the PTA mothers. My mom was there and she had tears in her eyes as she watched me play my trumpet or sing in the choir. I remember the principal's office in the front of the building. I remember that we had a boys entrance on the east side of the building while the girls was on the west side of the building. So many memories, classmates and teachers. I wonder what happened to all of them. I am sure that all the teachers have passed on by now. Probably a number of the students too. I am 60 years old now but it is all like it happened yesterday.

I loved growing up in Old Brooklyn. It was a great neighborhood and a great place to grow up. I still live in the Cleveland area in Parma. I am retired for 6 years now and occasionally, I come back to that area just for the memories. When I go by the vacant lot where Memphis stood, I can still see the building in my mind. I can still here the kids in the school yard. It was a simpler time.

Greg, thank you so much for the website and for saving all the memorabilia. When I see the pictures of the signs, books, the school guard badge, the bricks that you have on the website, it all comes flooding back to me.

Your work is much appreciated,

Bruce Stoessner

No comments:

Post a Comment