Saturday, August 22, 2015

Demolition of Memphis School

It was back in June, 2007 that our old school came tumbling down. Fellow Memphis Alum, Russ Kawentel, captured the last days of Memphis School. Click on any image to enlarge.

After studying Russ' pictures, they reminded me that there was a huge tunnel like area on top of the third floor. During the time I was hired to photograph the school years before it was demolished, I remember going into a huge area that covered the entire footprint of the school. However, it was a cat-walk, you couldn't stand up and basically had to stoop your way around. It was above the third floor. You can see it in the above image and the next two images.

I actually planned to explore the cat-walks, but chickened out at the last minute. This was when I brought a huge, high candle-powered flashlight with me, but as soon as I got up there, the flashlight I brought turned on, but strangely, didn't light anything up!


I'm pretty sure this is looking into the auditorium.

Please find the time to write your memories down and send them to me at: gregoryz@centurylink.net

We'll post your Memphis School story and it will help offset the sad images above of a great school that was ours, but for a flicker of time.

1 comment:

  1. So sad!!! This was such a fun school! I loved the gym in the basement. I loved how the steps entering the gym were so worn that they dipped in the middle. Loved the auditorium too. Cute small stage where we entertained our parents in pageants and music recitals.

    ReplyDelete