Monday, July 30, 2012

The Old Library and Mooney Jr. High


The old South Brooklyn Branch Library on Henritze. How fun was this place! Going to this library to watch movies upstairs on a Saturday morning was a blast! Does anyone else remember the red-headed librarian? She would visit us at Memphis quite often.
Another great school! Many if not most of Memphis' students went to Chas. A. Mooney Jr. High. I do remember paying a nickle during lunch to watch a 15-minute segment of a movie. One movie I remember was when Ray Milland and Rosie Greer became a man with two heads!? Mooney's movie theater was really cool!

4 comments:

  1. I think the red-headed librarian's name was Mrs. Markus (something like that)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't have red hair. It was gray by the time I meet her in 1975. She let a bratty boy pull my hair repeatedly when I was 5 until tears stung my eyes. I told her 'he's pulling my hair!' Little Cleveland thug brat. In those days, no time outs, she let him continue to sit by me for the class!

      Delete
  2. I believe the red-haired librarian's name was Mrs. Marquis or Markus or something similar sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the first graduating class from Mooney. Principal Howard J. Geiser selected Paul Cordes and I to be noon time projectionists and we were paid $3.00 a week each Friday. We ate our lunches in the booth while running the arc-lit projectors. One of the films we showed was Alfred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS. It was great fun. I graduated from Rhodes in January '68 and went on to Heidelberg College with Howard Geiser's daughters, Joyce and Christine. Howard was my mother's chemistry teacher at Rhodes. She graduated in 1938. Paul Cordes moved to Vermillion before he graduated with our class and we missed him. I recall Paul playing LADY OF SPAIN on his accordion in a program in the auditorium of Memphis Elementary. This was most impressive as we were maybe in 3rd or 4th grade.

    I remember the librarian from the South Brooklyn Branch as well. She did have firey red hair. Sometimes she would come to Memphis School to read us books. I recall liking the Miss Pickeral series, about a kindly old woman with mysterious and powerful eye glasses which empowered anyone who put them on with special abilities.

    ReplyDelete