Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Send your Memphis School Story Today!

Hello Fellow Classmates!

We're hoping to post some new stories from our former classmates. During Covid-19, now's the time to write a story about your time at our great school.

Please send them to me at: zarykfamily@twc.com

The above pic is our old elementary school back when it had only two floors, not three like we all remember. This super rare image was taken sometime before 1919...over 100 hundred years ago!!! It was taken just before the third floor was added.

Does anyone remember how cool our school looked at night when all of the classrooms were lit up? I remember going to open houses at night and walking there with my mom from W. 42nd Street. The school looked magnificent!

Please send your memories to me...long or short and some pics. Also, remember to hit the older posts button at the bottom of each page to see previous stories and pics.

Thank you!

Greg, Class of 72

3 comments:

  1. I went to Memphis elementary 1956-1961. Mrs. Amanda Volk was principal. Walked from W.48 & Fulton to school & back 2 times a day in all weather. (No school buses back then) lol I had Ms. Baker Rm 301. She had a chalk holder with a diamond in it..perfect handwriting on the board. She was always impeccable dressed..nice clothes. Mrs. Walzak was the crazy art teach next door in room 302. The other teachers didn't socialize with her that much. Mildred Wurch was the science teacher who used to come around in the summer and look at our gardens. I believe she was married to a Cleveland Policeman.

    I remember watching Alan Shepard first man in space in 1961. They had a TV set up in the basement gym and all the classes got to go there to sit on the floor and watch the space flight.

    We would go home for lunch each day. I remember watching Capt. Penny and Jungle Larry each day. When Capt Penny was over, I knew it was time to head back to school.

    Jungle Larry had a show at Cedar Point for many years. In 1984 I met Jungle Larry in Naples, Florida.(Jungle Larry and Safari Jane's winter home) He had a wild animal attraction there that eventually became the Naples Zoo. Jungle Larry was a really nice guy...tall..6'3 or more. Always wore that same big white Safari Hat he wore on TV.

    Names I remember: Carol Offcar,Sandra Ossing, Klaus Victor, Chuck Hoskins, Tom Shepard, Mike Gilotti, the Trush twins Suzanne and Cynthia. I was on the "Safety Patrol" we had flags and would stand crossing guard at the corners. lol Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember many of the same things. Blessings to you

      Delete
  2. Sure do remember lots of what you wrote about Jim I also remember you best wishes

    ReplyDelete